Mobile homes depreciate over time, unlike other forms of real estate. Because the tax assessment system makes no provision for that reality, mobile home taxes are accurate only in the first years after purchase, and become increasingly inaccurate each year thereafter.
Ultimately, some of these homeowners end up with a tax liability several times higher than reasonably expected. Mobile homes are the only form of property that require periodic assessment appeals to maintain equitable agreement to actual value.
In just two years, the United Way Mobile Home Tax Reassessment Program has made great impact:
• Assisted in 510 successful appeals
• Lowered these 510 mobile home assessments by 70% from $18 million to their actual assessed value of $5 million
• Saved each mobile home owner an average of $966 on their annual taxes
• Collectively saved these mobile home owners $4.9 million over the next 10 years that they should have never owed to begin with if not for a flaw in state tax code.
United Way of Chester County has partnered with Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania, LCH Health and Community Services (previously known as La Comunidad Hispana) and local food pantries to continue this important work and scale it to assist all mobile home owners in Chester County who may be in a similar situation.
How to Apply
To be considered for the 2021 reassessments, please fill out this form. We will contact you beginning in March 2021 to schedule an intake appointment. The deadline to fill out this form is July 10, 2021 as the Chester County Reassessment filing window is May 1- August 1. Below is how the process is handled:
• Once the form is complete, we will contact the client to schedule a 30 minute intake interview between March and mid-July with a representative from Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania
• The paralegal will complete the forms and will contact the client for their signature
• A UWCC volunteer will take photos of the home for documentation
• All forms will be submitted between May 1- August 1 to the County Reassessment Office
• Clients will be notified the results of their reassessment appeals in October
We will do all the work and pay the fees on behalf of the homeowners in the program.
Para más información en español, llame a 610-444-7750 opción 8.
Rachel’s Story“In April 2020, I read an article in the newspaper regarding mobile homes’ and manufactured homes’ real estate taxes and their lack of depreciation. My manufactured home had been assessed the same amount for 18 years with no change. I am not sure why it took me so long to realize something was wrong. After reading the article, I contacted United Way of Chester County right away for help with this matter.
They were wonderful, taking care of EVERYTHING. I didn’t have to do much of anything other than fill out a few forms and attach some paperwork.
Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania represented me at the hearing and ended up having my house reassessed from $29,130 to $11,940 (effective 2021). That is $17,000+ LESS than what it had been.
My contact at United Way of Chester County kept in constant contact with me throughout the whole matter. She was wonderful and extremely efficient, competent, courteous, respectful and kind. I highly recommend this project to anyone and everyone.”
“The whole process was very simple and handled completely by the United Way of Chester County, including any court cost. My time investment was approximately 30 minutes and monetary cost was $0. My taxes were reduced from around $1200/year to $400/year for my mobile home.
As I am on a fixed retirement income, the extra $70/month will help a lot with my monthly expenses! I took pamphlets home with me when I filled out the paperwork on my initial visit and passed them out to neighbors in my mobile home community. Thank you!”
To learn how you can financially support the program, contact Doug Kaiser, Director of Resource Development, at 610.429.9400 ext. 4102 or firstname.lastname@example.org.